Wednesday, October 16, 2013

One-Pan Pork Tenderloin with Rosemary Vegetables




I'm not always in a hurry cooking.  Often I take my own sweet time and dust be damned.  Lately, with more boxes and mess than I want to own up to (after 16 days in the house), I'm still just throwing meals together in hopes that anything for which I heat the stove up will last a couple of days.  Because the larder is not up-to-snuff, I end up running to the grocery over and over; I'm wasting time on this stuff.  Bad words.


The kitchen is functioning though I have cabin knives and only four drinking glasses. #badlylabeledmovingboxes


The other day I just went and bought everything at once for a one-pan meal that sounded perfect. There was no way I was getting home and finding I didn't have everything and that was the case.  I grabbed a package of two pork tenderloins (fast cooking), some red potatoes, carrots, onions, garlic, and prayed I had dried rosemary.  My fresh rosemary plant is mostly likely dead outside the Saint Paul house back door and I won't be growing any new herbs here for a few months unless I try the south window approach where my son has placed a big bucket of sage thinking ahead to Thanksgiving.

Dining Room:  What are wardrobe boxes doing in there?  Huh.

To put a point on it:  I cooked, we ate, and we ate leftovers. I served this meal with my lemon green beans. (Recipe way below.)  There's nothing like a piece of meat roasted with potatoes, carrots, and onions to spell comfort food. Add rosemary (for remembrance) and a bottle of  Côtes du Rhône and you're all set.

Caution:  Iphone photo below.

Living Room beginning to come together.  I had to clean it yesterday...and the boxes aren't even unpacked!















one-pan pork tenderloin with rosemary vegetables    6 servings




  • 3 tablespoons olive oil or  more as needed
  • Crushed red pepper
  • Fresh ground black pepper
  • 6 small red potatoes, quartered
  • 6 large carrots, well cleaned, and sliced 1/2-inch thick (don't peel)
  • 1 large yellow onion, sliced
  • 2 cloves garlic, chopped
  • Dried Rosemary (rub between fingers or in hands to break up and release oils)
  • 2 pork tenderloins (about a pound each), seasoned liberally with salt, pepper, and crushed dried rosemary
1.  Preheat oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit. Place rack in the middle.
2.  In a large, deep, oven-safe skillet or sauté pan, heat oil over medium high heat with a pinch of crushed red pepper and a few grinds of black pepper.  Add potatoes, carrots, and onions.  Season vegetables with 1/2 -teaspoon salt,  1/4 teaspoon pepper and 1 teaspoon crushed dried rosemary.  Cook, stirring regularly, for 5-10 minutes or until beginning to soften. Add the garlic for last minute or so.
3.  Push vegetables to the sides of the pan and add the well-seasoned pork tenderloin, adding a little more oil, if necessary.  Cook 3-4 minutes or until well-browned; turn and brown on other side.
4.  Cover and place pan in the oven.+  Roast 20 minutes or so until pork is 145 degrees Fahrenheit* on an instant read thermometer.  Remove pork to a warm platter and cover with foil to rest for 5 minutes or so.  The pork will reach 150 degrees while resting.  It should be somewhat pink.  (Cook longer if you'd like your pork well-done; I don't recommend it, though.)  Slice pork and surround with vegetables.  Serve hot.

This is my stainless steel Cuisinart sauté pan
Cook's Notes:  

1. If the vegetables aren't quite tender when the pork is done, put them back on the burner over medium heat and cook a few minutes longer, stirring regularly.
2.  Want a quick sauce for the meat?  Stir together 1 part Dijon-style mustard to 3 parts plain Greek yogurt and season with salt, pepper, and a drop or two of hot sauce.
3.   Any root vegetables could be subbed for the carrots and potatoes; you might need to adjust cooking time for parsnips or turnips.

+I needed this done quickly, so covered the pan.  You might try it uncovered, though it would take a bit longer.

Wine:  Côtes du Rhône red (a French blend of Syrah,  Mouvedre, Grenache, etc.)

*Current FDA recommendations for meat temperatures are available here as a PDF that you can print and keep in your kitchen.

Keep in mind I cook at altitude.  If you're closer to sea level, you might have dinner sooner.


* My Lemon Green Beans
  • 1/2-pound steamed fresh green beans or haritcots verts (very thin beans)*
  • 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
  • Grated rind of one lemon
  • Pinch crushed red pepper
In a medium bowl, toss together well-drained beans with oil.  Sprinkle generously with salt and pepper.  Toss well with lemon rind and crushed red pepper. Taste and adjust seasonings.

*The tiny green beans cook in 2-3 minutes covered in the microwave.

Tuck in the window while I blog.

Morning  sunrise off the deck can't be captured by my photos!
 Sing a new song; don't  move,
Alyce

5 comments:

  1. I really like your ideas. I truly appreciate your effort in publishing this article. Keep it up and God bless.

    Lizzy
    www.imarksweb.org

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your post a lot! You should write some more on this!Great job coming with such terrific post!


    mocsbar.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really enjoyed reading your article. I found this as an informative and interesting post, so i think it is very useful and knowledgeable. I would like to thank you for the effort you have made in writing this article.


    edupdf.org

    ReplyDelete
  4. Taking risk is not bad as long as you know that you can handle it right and make sure you don't regret at the end. Visit my site for more information and thanks for your wonderful article it did helped me a lot.

    triciajoy.com

    www.triciajoy.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I will keep your new article. I really enjoyed reading this post, thanks for sharing.

    Sol
    www.gofastek.com

    ReplyDelete

I can't wait to hear from you!

When you click on "Comment as," you have a choice of google id, etc. If you don't have a google id or a blog, choose ANONYMOUS. When you type your comment, you can sign your name there. Thanks!