Friday, August 10, 2012

38 Power Foods, Week 9 -- Kale -- Baby Kale and Spinach with a Roasted Chicken Breast



 While I didn't grow up eating kale, I got to it as soon as I could.  My folks were transplanted southerners.  Greens made an appearance, oh yeah.  I ate them.  (not)
There were lots of reasons why I finally hit on kale (baby kale first, actually)  once I knew from good.  One was its curly beauty:































       One was its strength and goodness.
     



One cup of kale contains 36 calories, 5 grams of fiber, and 15% of the daily requirement of calcium and vitamin B6 (pyridoxine), 40% of magnesium, 180% of vitamin A, 200% of vitamin C, and 1,020% of vitamin K. It is also a good source of minerals copper, potassium, iron, manganese, and phosphorus.
Kale’s health benefits are primarily linked to the high concentration and excellent source of antioxidant vitamins A, C, and K -- and sulphur-containing phytonutrients.(courtesy webmd.)
Another was its price.  Even at Whole Foods, kale was doable, payable, and edible.

Last was its ease of preparation. Clean well, chop, saute, season, eat.  Repeat.  Mix in another bit of greens if you like.   Herbs?  Oh, yes.  Heat?  Sure.  Good in soup?  Perfect!  And...

 Served with a bit of rice or a piece of chicken, I loved, loved it.    Try this:

baby kale and spinach with a roasted chicken breast

  A. first roast your chicken breast

Roast  olive oiled and salt and peppered bone-in breasts 45 minutes at 350 F a la Ina.
  B.  toward the end of the cooking time for the chicken, begin cooking the greens:

In a medium skillet or sauté pan, pour in about a tablespoon of olive oil.  (No need for extra virgin.)  Heat over medium heat with a pinch of crushed red pepper and kosher salt. 
  1. Add 4-5 very thin slices of red onion, torn or cut if they're large. Cook, stirring, for one minute.
  2. Drop in 4 cups or so spinach and baby kale. (Use chopped kale in place of baby kale if that's what you have.)  Let cook down as much as you like; watch it carefully.  Stir.   Some people like greens barely cooked; some like them well done.  Suit yourself.
  3. When almost done to your liking, toss in about 6 sliced cherry or grape tomatoes.  
  4. Heat through and serve hot or at room temperature.  (You can add a splash of apple cider vinegar if you like.)

 Never cooked greens like kale?  Watch how here:


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
If you liked this recipe, you might like:

Alyce's Red, White, and Blue Kale Salad

Stay cool!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
 38 Power Foods is a group effort!   Stop by these other blogs and see what they're cooking each week as we team up to bring you some of the healthiest cooking available.


Ansh – SpiceRoots.com  
Jill – SaucyCooks 
Sarah - Everything in the Kitchen Sink
Anabanana - adobodownunder.blogspot.com
.
As we go along, I'm guessing we'll get some other writers involved.  If you're interested in joining the gang writing each week, get in touch with Mireya from My Healthy Eating Habits:  Mireya@MyHealthyEatingHabits.com

Sing a new song,
Alyce

baby kale and spinach with a roasted chicken breast originally posted by alyce on dinnerplace.blogspot.com

two-dog kitchen and around the 'hood

Earlier this week on More Time:  Homemade Potato Chip-Steak Salad with Homemade Mayonnaise Dressing
Just add fork


Right now on the dinnerplace blog:  Would you make breakfast?
Egg+Egg White Omelet filled with Nonfat Cottage Cheese on WW Toast







Guacamole Soup with Cheese Quesadillas...recipe I'm working on for the book.  Five tries and I'm finally happy.



Miss Gab and Tucker under my make-shift desk.
  Today I took a break from recipe development and sat out on the front deck with a cup of coffee for a few.  In the crab apple tree off to the right was a tiny chickadee singing, "CHRIS-tine."  I've never seen chickadees in Colorado, much less in my own yard.  Soon, I saw there was a second chickadee.   Of course, they're always in pairs.  They seemed to be digging around for insects in the bark of the tree.  Sitting quietly, I finally saw one of the birds  go to a nest--right in the tree. 
How could I not have noticed them, the building of the nest, or the baby birds?

 Lesson for the day:  If you don't take the time to rest or sit quietly, you won't know what's going on in  life right outside your own front door.

10 comments:

  1. Wonderful meal. I sometimes like the greens barely done and sometimes well done. is that weird ? I would like the apple cider vinegar on the greens. How long are you in Colorado?

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Ansh I think wanting food one way one time and another another time is simply being a creative cook. Two more weeks before we head back to St. Paul.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Southern "treatment" of the kale is inspired....the whole thing sounds delicious!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for your wonderful ideas for ways of serving kale. It's definitely worth learning to eat.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a healthy and beautiful meal. I didn't eat much kale growing up, but now that I know how good it is for you, I try to make it as often as possible.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fantastic! I'm a big kale fan myself. I love how it 'holds up' when you steam it. I especially love your point about taking quiet moments in life. It's an important lesson, unplug, sit and watch. August is so beautiful it is a time of year where we can appreciate the maturity of the nature around us.
    Patty

    ReplyDelete
  7. I came to kale very late in life, but figure better late than never. Your dinner looks so colorful and delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  8. @Patricia @Martha Glad we all became fans...better late than ever. Wonderful thing is that kale makes a great salad (if chopped finely or if you use baby kale), but is also luscious on its own and soups or casseroles. Very versatile green.

    ReplyDelete

I can't wait to hear from you!

When you click on "Comment as," you have a choice of google id, etc. If you don't have a google id or a blog, choose ANONYMOUS. When you type your comment, you can sign your name there. Thanks!