|Dedicated to Gus and Irene Matthews|
Making new friends I wish I were with this minute.
|She could find a French cafe anywhere.|
|Did you know they make wine in Quebec? I liked the dessert wines best and brought some home.|
|Dave's favorite pose.|
|Coast of Cape Breton|
|Somewhere off the coast of Canada!|
|Me and my castle.|
grilled chicken tenders with couscous greek salad serves 4
ingredients list below
1. Make a vinaigrette first: Whisk well together 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice, 3/4 t Dijon-style mustard, a good pinch of salt, pepper, dried oregano and crushed red pepper. Drizzle in slowly 1/2 cup olive oil and whisk until well-combined or thickened (emulsified.) Set aside.
2. Make the couscous (see below) Set aside.
3. In a large bowl, chop 1/2 an English cucumber, 2 medium tomatoes, 1/2 green pepper (optional), 1/2 cup (1/4 #) feta cheese, 1/2 a small red onion (about 1/4 cup), and a 1/4 cup fresh Italian parsley. Add 1/2 cup pitted kalamata olives. Mix together gently with 1 tsp dried oregano, a pinch of crushed red pepper, and 1T red wine vinegar. Set aside.
4. Grill until just done (about 2 minutes on each side) 1 lb. of chicken tenders or boneless chicken breasts brushed with olive oil and sprinkled with kosher salt and fresh ground black pepper. Place at center of serving platter. Cover and let rest 2-4 minutes.
5. When chicken is resting, add 4 cups mixed greens and the 1 - 1 1/2 cups couscous to the vegetables and toss together. Drizzle with lemon vinaigrette and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Toss well. Taste and adjust seasonings. Uncover the chicken and spoon the salad onto the serving platter around the chicken tenders. Drizzle a bit more vinaigrette over the chicken and serve hot or at room temperature.
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil plus more for brushing on chicken
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice (2-3 lemons)
- kosher salt and pepper
- 1 1/2 t dried oregano, divided
- crushed red pepper
- 1/2 English cucumber, unpeeled
- 2 ripe tomatoes
- 1/2 green pepper
- 1/4# feta cheese
- 1/4 cup chopped red onion
- 1/2 cup pitted kalamata olives
- 1T red wine vinegar
- 1# boneless chicken tenders
- 1 - 1/12 cups cooked couscous*
- 4 cups mixed fresh salad greens
We drank a brilliant Oregon white with this: Tony Soter's North Valley "Hyland White," 2008--made from Riesling and Traminer vines. I don't know if they're still making this wine. At a quick glance, I didn't see it on their website, but you should always call the vineyard to see what's available. If they only have a couple of cases or a few bottles, it won't show on the site. The winery, in 2008, made only 70 cases of this wine.
|Here's our wine group tasting at Soter a couple of years ago.|
|The kids had Newman for supper last night. They've been apart for so long!|
all photos and text copyright Alyce Morgan, 2012. no use without permission. just ask.