Sunday, December 13, 2009

Drop in and Decorate! Monday, December 14, 2009


DROP IN AND DECORATE--STILL TIME TO RSVP FOR MON, 12/14, 4-7PM

What an incredible evening! Fun, Friends, Food....... and COOKIES, CAROLS & COOKIES!!!

Here's a sampling of COOKIES and food::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

We will decorate three types of cookies:

Plain old Sugar Cookies from Fannie Farmer's Baking Book
Gingerbread People (from same) and Chocolate Cutouts (Martha Stewart)


We have several colors of icing and 15 different "sprinkles." We'll even have "pearls."

Cookies are to be donated to The Bridge (Assisted Living Center).

Please take a few to someone you know who no longer bakes. I have cellophane bags available.


Dinner: Your choice of Chili or Vegetarian Lentil Soup
French Bread from MARIGOLD'S CAFE
Wine: A-Z Riesling (Oregon)
Zinfandel (California)


Cocoa and
Coffee with, what else for dessert, your own decorated cookie!



Is there anything like a decorated cookie? Or any cookie cut into shapes? They're just plain old fun. Enjoy the following poem............ It makes me think of Christmas Cookies.

Animal Crackers became such a part of American life that Christopher Morley (1890-1957), American humorist, playwright, poet, essayist, and editor, wrote the following poem:

Animal Crackers
by Christopher Morley

Animal crackers and cocoa to drink,
That is the finest of suppers I think;
When I'm grown up and can have what I please
I think I shall always insist upon these.
What do YOU choose when you're offered a treat?
When Mother says, "What would you like best to eat?"
Is it waffles and syrup, or cinnamon toast?
It's cocoa and animals that I love most!
The kitchen's the coziest place that I know;
The kettle is singing, the stove is aglow,
And there in the twilight, how jolly to see
The cocoa and animals waiting for me.
Daddy and Mother dine later in state,
With Mary to cook for them, Susan to wait;
But they don't have nearly as much fun as I
Who eat in the kitchen with Nurse standing by;
And Daddy once said, he would like to be me --
Having cocoa and animals once more for tea!

I'm on the way to Florida on Tuesday to bake with my sister for a few days. I'll be back in time to make my wine group brunch, to do a clam sauce dinner for close friends, cassoulet on the 24th and so on. I'll attempt to blog it all, but probably won't accomplish it! Enjoy your holiday baking and cooking; it's no chore. Share it all, my friends.

Until then, enjoy your Advent journey.........
Walk, don't run, to the stable. You'll have more time to pray.

Sing a new carol.............Listen to all of the old ones......Plan on church for Christmas Eve......
Alyce

No comments:

Post a Comment

I can't wait to hear from you!

When you click on "Comment as," you have a choice of google id, etc. If you don't have a google id or a blog, choose ANONYMOUS. When you type your comment, you can sign your name there. Thanks!